Help! I don't know how to eat anymore!

Help! I don't know how to eat anymore!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

New In The Kitchen!

Thanks to some very diligent thrift storing the last week, I have obtained several items off my WhoWhatWheat is coveting Amazon Wishlist. Check out my fabulous and cost-effective snags below!

Cuisipro Stainless-Steel Spray Pump Non-Aerosol Mister from William Sonoma, complete with receipt and original stickers/directions/recipes. Amazon.com has it listed for Amazon has it listed new for $13.83, I paid $2.25 at the Santa Cruz Goodwill. 

While Grocery Outlet technically isn't a thrift store, they DO provide deep discounts on kitchenwares among other things, so I'm counting it. A few months ago when I attempted my first roasted chicken, I had a roasting pan but no rack. Being the resourceful gal that I am, I took a wire cooling rack usually used for cookies and bent and jammed it in until it fit. This rack is slightly less ghetto, not to mention adjustable, so I can roast poultry to my heart's content. Originally $5.99 elsewhere, I grabbed this for $2.49.

I've been searching high and low for one of these ever since I attempted to make Yukon Gold Blinis out of the French Laundry cookbook last year. Sometimes a girl just needs super smooth potatoes your food processor can't produce. They're always using these on Hell's Kitchen and it took me a while to figure out what the hell they were but ever since I've been hunting. A few weeks ago I found the Cuisipro Stainless Steel Food Mill from my Wishlist at the local Salvation Army, but it was missing the grate plate for the bottom and it wiggled a bit too much for my liking. I thought for $3 it was worth purchasing and searching online for replacement parts, but then second guessed myself and put it down. Last week I saw one that looked like it was from the 50's but it had some rust on it and they wanted $10. On Tuesday I finally found this gem brand new in the box still wrapped in plastic and with all the pieces. Amazon used to have it for almost $100, I paid a tidy $15 at the local Hospice thrift store.

I've always wanted one of these, not because I think they're in any way practical. Can you imagine trying to whip egg whites or whipped cream with this? Tedious. However, I absolutely love the way they look and this one perfectly matches the green walls of my kitchen so I will be hanging it up as art to remind me how much I love my handmixer. 

I'm horrible at slicing apples. I have a fancy contraption you attach to the counter and stick a whole apple in and then spin it to peel and core and slice into rings, but it's not practical and if I'm being honest I NEVER use it. This 50 cent gem is old and worn, but will slice and core my apples in seconds. Thanks Cancer Aid thrift!

This is another Grocery Outlet find, a recycled stainless steel colander with bamboo handles. My sister and I have two strainers, neither of which is an actual colander. We have one mesh one with a handle and a giant rip in the mesh and a plastic one with a handle. Neither of these is convenient when you have a hot pot in your hands and you need a third hand to hold a strainer because it won't sit in the sink without tipping over. After a few years of being annoyed by this dilema, I picked up this beauty, originally $19.99, for $6.99. I welcome myself to hands-free straining.








Ahhhh, the pièce de résistance. Before you is a 1935 Hamilton Beach mixer with 6 attachments and two Pyrex glass mixing bowls. The top can be detached and used as a hand mixer which might be the cutest thing I've ever seen. While it needs a litte cleanup, everything works beautifully. This comes with impeccable timing as my KitchenAid has taken a nosedive and decided to cease aiding me. It makes a fairly heinous noise and refuses to spin any attachment I suggest. I procured this from Hospice thrift store for a whopping $6. The smaller bowl goes for about $15 on eBay just by itself, so I feel like I scored pretty big. 

Keep your eyes peeled for new posts in the works: Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Winter Whiskey Drinks, and Baked Meatballs.

Bon appetit...just not wheat!

No comments:

Post a Comment