Help! I don't know how to eat anymore!

Help! I don't know how to eat anymore!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Congratulatory Homemade Cinnamon Ginger Ice Cream

Happy Update: I had previously stated that this was full-fat, however I remembered yesterday as I was scarfing down the rest of it for lunch that I actually used fat-free half-and-half. Long story short: Enjoy all you want without the guilt!

This morning I said a happy farewell to three more pounds and finally broke through my plateau. I've noticed that my stamina is up and, rather than continue adding to or intensifying my workout, my body has begun correcting and aligning and I feel so much stronger. I've also begun swimming again which I haven't done for a few months, and I'm able to go harder and much longer than I used to.

I equate most of this progress to my newly consistent running routine, however I can't help but thank wheat-free living as well. It's a lot harder to convince yourself to go to the gym and sweat it out when your stomach is distended and hard and has shooting pains going up one side. To celebrate, it's time for some full fat ice cream.

It's been so hot out that I've had trouble consuming anything besides smoothies or yogurt or margaritas or very cold fruit. My sister and I recently bought a cheap pool and yesterday to combat the heat some friends tried sitting on chairs in it with a boogie board floating bar:

It worked miracles.

But for those of you without a crappy unlevel pool, you can try what my cat does on the bathroom floor:

If you're unfortunate enough to not have a pool or a heat-striken kitten, there's an even better way to make it through July. It's indulgent and comforting and won't make you feel grossly full in the heat. This was probably the easiest dessert with the biggest payoff I've made and I highly suggest you try it.

Disclaimer: you will need an ice cream maker to make this thing happen, I've got an exquisite Cuisinart Automatic Ice Cream Maker that you can pickup online for under $40 bucks.

Congratulatory Homemade Cinnamon Ginger Ice Cream
I found this recipe over at e-cookbooks.net and doubled it because it just didn't produce enough for my appetite.



2 pint half-and-half or light cream
6 egg yolks
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 dashes salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup diced candied ginger

Scald half-and-half or light cream on high heat. Mix egg yolks, sugar, salt and cinnamon in the top of a double boiler and set over simmering water. Slowly pour in scalded half-and-half, whisking constantly over low heat until mixture is slightly thickened and smooth (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool completely (I put it in the fridge overnight as I couldn't find the lid to my ice cream maker and it still came out delicious). Pour cooled mixture into ice cream maker and begin processing, adding candied ginger when mixture becomes slushy.

Makes about 5 cups, but they go faaaast (I had the rest of mine for lunch today while standing in the pool).

Bon Appetit...just not wheat!

5 comments:

  1. Can I borrow you maker? I have failed strawberry/blackberry jam that would make delicious IC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    I had to borrow a friend's lid and arm because I seem to have lost mine. I'm ordering replacements today and once I have them you're welcome to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight and it's a beautiful treat!! I had to make a few adjustments since I did not have any candied ginger, so I subbed in 1/4 c of grated ginger and increased the cinnamon to 1 1/2 tsp, and it tastes like Christmas! I wish I had some sugar cones....
    Thanks Sar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh ginger is way better I'm sure, but for some reason we have a plethora of candied ginger and no one ever does anything with it. I feel a new post coming on...

    ReplyDelete